Usability and Design Expert Jakob Nielsen states that in large online communities 90% of the users are lurkers who never contribute, 9% of the users contribute a little, and 1% of users account for almost all the actions. I sincerely hope that The E-Learning Council users will participate and break the mold. Some suggestions on increasing the amount of participation are:
- Make it easier to participate: We have forums, online pools, and allow users to create blogs. Use the Contact Us form if you are interested in having your own blog on this site.
- Make participation a side effect: E-Learning Council does track the stories that most readers click on and promotes them automatically. Users can also rate each story (including this one), book, etc on a 5 star rating system
- Edit, don’t create: After we get the primary E-learning Council site is up and going, we are going to work on setting up a E-Learning Wiki using PBWiki or MediaWiki that will let users edit existing content.
- Reward participants: As The E-Learning Council grows we hope that active participants are recognized and rewarded for their contributions
- Promote quality contributors: I am going to use this blog and the front page to highlight the best information on the site.
If you have additional ideas on improving participation please let me know.